Mint 1880’s Whitney Kennedy .44-40 WCF Lever Action Rifle

In 1880, Samual V. Kennedy and Frank W. Tiesing redesigned the 1878 Burgess rifle to accept the popular .44 Winchester Center Fire cartridge. With the basic machining already in place, the transition was rather inexpensive. The last Burgess was shipped from the factory in March 1880 and the first Kennedy was also shipped in March 1880.

Estimated dates of production: Early 1880 to early 1886.
Total production estimated at approximately 23,500. E range introduced the .45-60 cartridge. Frame becomes slightly larger. F and G range the loop lever was introduced. .45-75, .40-60, and .38-40 rifles were introduced. .50-95 and .32-20 were made in late production.

Source: http://www.eliwhitney.org/museum/permanent-installations/gun-collection